Hi my name is Sara Ross. I blog over at Sara’s House and am good friends with Kristin. Recently we traveled abroad promoting US agriculture and Kristin got in on a fun workout routine that I’ve been doing. But let me start from the beginning…..
About a year and a half ago I was tired of how my clothes weren’t fitting, I was tired of of the baby weight that I was still carrying around, and I was just plain tired. I wasn’t eating the best, I wasn’t working out, and I didn’t have much energy. Our boys, who were almost one and three at that time, were so active and so full of energy. I decided I needed to do something about it so I could keep up with them. I wanted to be a healthy, active, happy mommy for them. And I didn’t feel like I was there at that point.
At that time, I decided to start watching what I ate. Luckily my husband was on board too. It’s easier to cook and eat healthier if everyone else is game. Obviously our kids didn’t have much say in it, but they pretty much ate whatever I cooked for them, and eating healthier wasn’t going to hurt them any!
We started eating a more balanced diet , making sure we got our protein and also our fruits and vegetables along with the dairy and grains that make up a well-balanced diet. At the same time I started a new workout program called T25. Between the two (eating healthy and working out) I started seeing big differences! T25 is a workout program created by Shaun T. It is only 25 minutes and you can easily do it right in your house. I live out in the country (my husband and I farm in southwest Iowa) so there aren’t any gyms close by. This program was exactly what I needed at exactly the right time.
I stayed motivated and and completed the 14 weeks of T25 (I did the Alpha, Beta, and the extra Gamma round). We also really watched what we ate. I lost 16 pounds and a lot of inches, most significantly was the 3.5 inches that I had lost around my waist! I felt a lot better about myself, my clothes fit better (actually I had to get some new, smaller ones), and I had a LOT more energy! I knew once that program was done that I needed to decide what I wanted to continue doing for a workout since it’s all about balance (food and exercise).
At that time I had the privilege of attending one of Shaun T’s events and got to workout with him for an hour and a half. Oh my! He was such an inspiration. I wish I could have told him personally how he had changed my life and how much better I felt, but there were a few hundred other people there working out with us, so I didn’t get the opportunity.
After that I went on to do part of Insanity (also by Shaun T) and last summer I ran my first 10K and also some 5Ks with my sisters. I have found that when I workout on a regular basis and eat healthy I feel much better. Now don’t get me wrong, we do splurge on some junk food, pizza, wine, etc, but like I said it’s all about the balance.
On January 5th this year I started in on my third Shaun T program called Insanity Max 30 . It’s the hardest 30 minute workouts I think I have ever done! And I love it! That’s what Kristin did with me four days while over in China recently. She can vouch for me when I say that it’s hard, but it’s a great workout! I’ll finish the eight week program next Saturday, February 28th, so you’ll have to check in on my blog to see how I ended up doing this time around!
One last thing I want to share with you, since this is a Foodie Friday post, is my favorite pasta sauce. It’s packed full of veggies and protein and served with whole wheat pasta. It’s kid-friendly too!
(Neither Kristin nor I are Beachbody coaches or have any affiliation with their company. I just love their workout programs and wanted to share my experiences with you!)
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 28 ounces pasta sauce (no sugar added)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 pound 100% whole wheat pasta of your choice
- In a large skillet brown the hamburger. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook until the hamburger is completely browned and the vegetables are soft. Drain the meat mixture if needed at this time (if lean hamburger is used, then you may not need to drain any excess grease). Return the meant mixture to the skillet and add the minced garlic. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add in the chopped spinach leaves and cook until wilted.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add the Italian seasoning, pasta sauce, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Cook on high for at least 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with the whole wheat pasta and a side of green beans. I also broiled some whole wheat bread with a little butter, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese on it. Enjoy!